Saturday, September 27, 2014

A yummy fall{ish} recipe…

And good for ya taboot

The squash are out…every shape and color. And roasted squash is the

cats pajamas or so they say

But since it is only fall{ish} and the {ish} means… eh… 87 degrees warm

I decided to embrace my clime, and turn the roasted squash into a warmish salad.

with me?

BN1

Who knew that when you peel Butternut squash there are tiny green stripes?

Nature in all of her glory.

BN2

I roasted the chunked squash with pearl onions and red grapes….sage would be lovely too!

Jewel tones….gorgeous.

BN3

While roasting I cooked up some jasmine and wild rice…I have done this before with Quinoa too.

added some good balsamic vinegar and some finely chopped raw butternut squash

Yep. Raw. The warmth of the rice softens it just. a. tad.

wonderful crunch

BN4

veggies roasted…all caramelized. Fall crack.

BN5

Made a sweet tangy dressing with maple syrup…and added craisins.

Put the warm from the oven veggies on the cool from the fridge rice salad…

breaking all of the rules

BN9

Lovely union.

Try it. Dare.

Warm roasted butternut squash and fruit salad

2-1/2 cups of butternut squash chunks

1 cup of red seedless grapes

1 cup of pearl onions

1 TBSP of olive oil

Roast above at 375 degree oven for 25 minutes (or until nice and caramel brown)

Meanwhile cook:

1 C of wild and jasmine rice ~or~ mixture of quinoa and rice…or whatever grain raises your skirt.

when rice is cooked add:

1/2 c of finely diced raw butternut squash

2 tsp of balsamic vinegar

Put in fridge to chill for an hour…or overnight.

For dressing mix:

2 TBSP of whole grain mustard

2TBSP of maple syrup

1-1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar

1TBSP of olive oil

When rice is cool add dressing and:

1/4 c of minced shallot or green onions,

1/2 c of dried cranberries.

:: Serve warm roasted veggies and fruit over chilled rice salad.::

BN6

 

Perfectly fall{ish}.

9 comments:

helen tilston said...

Looks delicious and I love your dare to try it with cold salad from the fridge.

We went to a farmer's market this week in Kinsale and picked up some delicious brocolli which had flowered.
Thanks for your recipe

Helen

Studio Yuko Jones said...

Hello, I'm new here and I'm loving this fall-ish recipe! I never thought of roasting grapes. I will try this this week :)

Te de Ternura said...

UN DELICIOSO PLATO que no me pienso perder!!!
Mil gracias amiga :))))
Conxita

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Make a little more of the maple syrup and balsamic dressing and you can drizzle it over the veggies too!

LOVE me a good farmers market!

De nada, Conxita :)

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

In Philly today it is 84 and tomorrow will be 80 so I'm understanding your Fall (ish) meaning! Your recipe looks so yummy I am going to try it this week,
Vera

Unknown said...

Yummy! So love. Aside from travel what I love most to do is to taste new food.

http://goo.gl/EmOKk

Ry @ Sotto Il Monte Vineyards said...

Linda you inspired me to roast some butternut squash for dinner. I used a little maple syrup as suggested and topped a salad with it. Perfect for fall. We also love your Caribbean Mashers!
Cheers!
Ry

cindy hattersley design said...

What an unlikely combination of ingredients! It sounds amazing and right up my alley! Can't wait to try!!

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails