Friday, August 22, 2008

My friend the Flamingo...

Back to the tropics for a blissful moment....
The American Flamingo...near impossible to find in the US today,
but in the 1800's John Audubon saw a flock of them
in the Florida Keys.
Always trying to piant his subjects as close to their true size as posible.
(the Flamingo can stand at 5 feet), Audubon painted the Flamingo with his
neck bent in a bit unusual of a position just to fit the whole bird on his 3 foot paper.
I saw a Roseate Spoonbill in all of it's pink glory as I was driving to work
the other day. What a treat!
Flamingos in Flock...or flocking Flamingos

last two pics courtesy of: Flickr
Ok...Back to your regularly scheduled program....

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh how this makes me miss living in Florida.

Have a great weekend.

Melissa

Beth Ann said...

Wow! We don't have anything quite so cool here, but we do get the occasional duck that flies into our pools and poops all in it!

Fifi Flowers said...

They are such beautiful birds! I much prefer the real ones to the plastic ones I see in gardens...LOL! Enjoy your weekend! Fifi

sandra/tx said...

Flamingos are such fascinating birds, aren't they?

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

It is kinda quinessential Florida isn't it Melissa!

Duck in your POOL!! OMG Beth Ann!!

Fifi...I am kinda partial to the plastic ones too...always wanted a flock of them to paint and use as garden art.

Sandra...They are ridiculously fascinating!!

Ms. Tee said...

Beautiful photos!
I had no idea they can stand 5' tall. I'm only 5'4" and I could almost look them in the eyes. :)

Screaming Meme said...

I love flamingos! They are so pretty! I saw your comment at Sunbonnet Cottage~I do have a flamingo I'm going to make into a tassel...Tell me know if you's like her! And if you talk to me before I start...you can pick the colors of trim...Im off to dream away in your lovely blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails